Historic Homes of Hincheyville
Expiration: 18 months after purchase
Explore one of Franklin's most historic neighborhoods! On this self-guided walking tour, you'll discover the history of each home, observe the variety of architectural styles, and enjoy a relaxing stroll past amazing historic homes. A great walking tour any time of the year, it's especially festive around any major holiday as this neighborhood is known for going all out with seasonal decorations! When you're finished with the walking tour and have checked in at 5 or more locations, head to the Franklin Visitor Center to pick up your sticker.
Included Venues

See locations on an interactive map.
Location: 700 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Peter Williams built this house in 1819 as a personal residence. The subdivision of Hincheyville was established in 1819 and the Williams home was the first brick house to be built. The front portion of the house burned prior to the Civil War and the remaining rooms were rebuilt in the home's current footprint.
Location: 701 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Mr. Henry Horton built the original house in 1891-1892. This large ten room dwelling was built around a much older structure, a low ceiling room with ash flooring, wavy hand-poured window panes, and "pin and board" construction (without nails). These features indicate this room was built no later than 1812-1815, which makes it older than Hincheyville. Dr. Rosalie Carter, Tennessee's first female dentist, lived here.
Location: 805 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
One of the earliest references to this property is the deed of sale, which records the transfer of Lot No. 7 in Hincheyville in 1832 from Thomas Dudley to Judith Long. In 1851, the property was sold to a Mr. Weems for $1,552. Today the house holds a unique place in Hincheyville because of its unusual "Y"-shaped design. Situated along the banks of Town Creek, a tiny stream several feet away and flowing under Main Street, the home gives the impression that is has rested on it's overlook for a long time.
Location: 808 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
La Maison Du Reve lives up to its French name- "House of Dreams."
Location: 819 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Brown and Jennie Campbell built this Queen Anne style house in the 1880s around an existing dwelling that dates back to 1828. By the 1950s the house deteriorated after it had been divided in to three apartments. In 1967, Eloise Pitts O'More purchased the house to open a design school, and extensively renovated it. O'More College of Design eventually moved to larger quarters on East Margin Street, then to the Belmont University campus in Nashville.
Location: 901 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
This Victorian cottage spent its first 92 years in Franklin on another downtown street - Fifth Avenue North - in the area behind Starbucks on Main Street. It was going to be torn down to make way for a bank, but the Heritage Foundation acquired it in 1981 and had it moved to this location on West Main Street. This home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Location: 902 West Main St, Franklin, TN 37064
In the early 1900s, R.W. and Katie McLemore built this substantial solid brick structure in the popular "four-square" style of the time. The amenities of a port-cochere, indoor plumbing, and central heating made the McLemore family the envy of their Hincheyville neighbors. Many of the original fixtures and features of the beautiful home have been preserved.
Location: 903 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
This serene-looking Greek Revivial house stood as a witness to the horrors of war through the eyes of an 11 year-old boy named Hardin Figuers, who years later wrote accounts of the Battle of Franklin and aftermath. On the day of the battle, and against his mother's entreaties, Hardin climbed up in a large tree in the front yard to watch the fighting below. He retreated to the cellar when flying bullets endangered his own safety. While in the cellar, a 12-lb. cannonball struck a windowsill within a few feet of the family. The house served as a hospital, and Hardin wrote about scavenging through the countryside for food for both him and the soliders, as nobody had enough. Seeing "a little Yankee boy pale in death" near his own age, Hardin said, impressed him more than the thousands of dead men he looked upon. The tree Hardin climbed the day of the battle lived into the early 21st century.
Location: 908 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Dr. Samuel Henderson Sr. built this home and gave it to his daughter, Sally Martin Henderson in 1881. In 1924, owner Margret Watkins added on the right side of the house. At one time, the house was divided in to four apartments. In 1971, it was lovingly restored to its original elegance and grandeur.
Location: 930 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Joshua Bates Lillie, an owner of Franklin's Lillie Mills, built this house in 1894. An original feed sack hangs in the kitchen today, and the floor-level windows in the living room have their original shutters. The Waterford crystal chandelier in the main dining room originally hung in the British consulate in Bombay. The current owner decorates for every holiday, and if you're visiting at Halloween, this is a sight not-to-be missed!
Location: 932 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
E.E. Green was a local banker who built his magnificent Victorian home in 1896. Mr. Green had two little girls and when he installed his cistern-pump on the back porch, the two girls put their footprints in the freshly poured concrete. The name "Green" is engraved in the original brass front door knob.
Location: 1003 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Mr. Turley was the owner of Franklin Sugar and Syrup Mills in Franklin. He built the house in 1881 in the Queen Anne style. It was originally built as a wooden frame, two-story house with a front entrance tower with arched front door and arched wrapped porch. In 1925 a fire destroyed part of the rood, but the arched front door and arched porch architecture was retained.
Location: 1010 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
The 'School Master's House.' After Patrick Campbell and his brother immigrated to Franklin from Scotland, they established and taught at the Campbell School. Patrick and his wife, Louise Winder, sister of Mrs. John McGavock of Carnton and granddaughter of Felix Grundy, lived in the house while teaching at the Campbell School.
Location: 1011 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
J.A. Hunter built the house in the early 1920s in the Arts & Crafts style that was popular, but the house is locally known as the Warren House after Marion and Ed Warren purchased the house in 1952. Mr. Warren was an owner of the funeral home next door, and Mrs. Warren was a first grade teacher fondly remembered by many Franklinites.
Location: 1014 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Andrew and Patrick Campbell opened the Campbell School in January 1868. The brothers were asked to serve as principals at Harpeth Academy where the boys had "gotten out of hand." When students wanted a holiday from class, they would rough up their teachers. After the arrival of the Campbell brothers, things forever changed. The boys tried their bad behavior, and in turn received bloodied noses and blackened eyes, and order was restored. The Campbell School later became known as the Franklin Male Academy with other teachers and also served as classrooms for Franklin Elementary while the school was being built in 1907.
Location: 1051 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Built in 1973, this was the home of William and Ophelia House(grandparents of Minnie Pearl). Constructed in the Queen Ann style, the house has six fireplaces with original mantels. Many of the original furnishings and fixtures remain.
Location: 1101 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Although not included in the original Hincheyville land plan, White Hall sites on the southern edge of the subdivision. Robert White built the home in 1835 on 30 acres of land.
Location: 1102 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Captain Thomas Jefferson Carothers built this house in the 1866 after serving in the Civil War. It was originally constructed on the Curd property near Williamson Medical Center and I-65, but was moved to its present location in 1990. [Retrace your steps to 11th Ave N. Turn left, walk one block to Fair Street then turn right.
Location: 1012 Fair Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Judge Burch, a federal tax collector, built this Colonial Revival style farmhouse in 1857. Mr. James Crutchfield, the present owner, is the author of numerous historical books including 'A Heritage Grandeur' showcasing Williamson County homes.
Location: 1006 West Main Street, Franklin, TN 37064
The name 'Fair Street' came about by an unusual event. On September 4, 1857, the Williamson County Agricultural and Mechanical Society was organized. The first county fair opened on November 4, 1857 on land north of the Old City Cemetary. Mary McGavock Southall, sister to Colonel John McGavock, owned undeveloped property in Hincheyville on what was then called Wall Street (present day Fair Street). The county fairs of 1859 and 1869 were moved to this location thus the name Fair Street. Because of the Civil War of 1861-1865, plans for the county fair were put on hold resulting in the lapse in the five-year lease on Mrs. Southall property. As a result, the land was divided and two houses were built: The Courtney-Alexander house and the Courtney-Sheridan house.
Location: 936 Fair Street, Franklin, TN 37064
This charming Victorian house, built about 1893, became a Painted Lady in the 1980s. Seen most often in California and Colorado, Painted Ladies can be easily identified by five or more contrasting colors bringing out the "Gingerbread" details on porches, shutters, and molding around windows, eaves, and roof. The picket fence continues the theme.
Location: 918 Fair Street, Franklin, TN 37064
This Colonial Revival style, "L" shape designed house was built in 1884 by Mrs. Mattie Todd on 11 acres and part of the fair property. The house has 12-foot-ceilings. The front porch was a later addition.
Location: 904 Fair Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Built in 1893, this was known for many years as the John R. Page home, for the local businessman. Page bought the home in 1928 and lived there with his wife, Leila, and their children for many years. The handsome two-story frame structure has undergone extensive renovation.
Location: 803 Fair Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Rose Walker bought this home from Sara Gooch in 1931. Mrs. Walker helped found Walker Chevrolet and ran it successfully for many years after the death of her husband. She became one of Franklin's most celebrated and successful women busiess owners. The Tudor-style home began as an over-under duplex by Farnsworth, a noted builder of the time. Extensive renovations were done in 2003-2004.
Location: 801 Fair Street, Franklin, TN 37064
This stone cottage is believed to have been constructed around 1928 as Hincheyville was getting its last "new homes." During the Great Depression, the house, indicative of what was happening around the nation, lost a third of its value.
Location: 800 Fair Street, Franklin, TN 37064
This charming cottage is folk Victorian style built by Wiley B. White around 1909-1911. The house was in poor condition when restoration work began in the mid-1980s. No original plaster remains, but the exterior siding, floors, windows, doors, fireplaces, and some hardware are believed to be original.
Location: 724 Fair Street, Franklin, TN 37064
George Irion is believed to have built this Federal style home in 1830. Apparents Mr. Irion was not skilled with managing his finances, and his properties were bought and sold numerous times. Charles F. Wall bought the house in 1852 and lived there for two generations until 1909. Mrs. Maggie White bought the house in 1909. The house became the home of the current owner's parents. The house accommodates four apartments.
Location: 704 Fair Street, Franklin, TN 37064
Mrs. J.M. King has this stone veneer multi-family house built in the 1930s. The John Jewell was the first to occupy it.
Location: 612 Fair Street, Franklin, TN 37064
A small one-story brick house stood on this 11-acre lot about 1832. Ten years later a prosperous young Franklin businessman and lawyer named John McEwen purchased it, leaving the existing structure and builing, the imposing Italianate dwellinh you see today, at the front of the lot. Italianate features seen here include wings, corniced eaves and Corinthian-columned porches. John McEwen was Franklin's mayor during the Civil War and helplessly surrendered the town to the Union Army as the Occupation period began. The family huddled in the cellar during the Battle of Franklin and opened the house to both Union and Confederate soliders afterwards. Many Southerners lost it all during and after the War, but John McEwen was not one of them. He dealt extensively in real estate, operating a spa in Western Williamson county for many years. His longest-lasting contribution to the Franklin of today was turning down the Federal government in its efforts to save a prime part of Franklin's battlefield and create a battlefield park. Instead McEwen subdivided the land into building lots and named the streets after the Battle of Franklin's fallen Confederate generals.
Location: 123 5th Avenue North, Franklin, TN 37064
This building, another Italianate style building, was part of the original 11 acres purchased by John McEwen in 1842. John built the house as a wedding gift for his daughter Adelicia to Dr. Dan German, the father of the man who built The Stone Cottage and Dan German Hospital. For many years it served as Franklin's public library.